Monday, January 23, 2012

The Varsity Letterman Jacket

I know, I know, you're thinking "what is this high school?".  Haa, I have always liked the look of the varsity letter jacket. It's just stylish and preppy, and it works with pretty much anything. Show me a classic ivy league flick and tell me the jackets weren't cool.  Most guys will acquiesce if you didn't have one, you wanted one.   You really don't see many of them around these days. I didn't letter in high school so I never got the luxury of wearing one.  I think what's missing is the style of the jacket itself without all the mess.   I'm now 31 so i'm not feeling the "accolades" section, but the overall construction and aesthetic of the jacket is noteworthy.  The boys over at The Brooklyn Circus have made an impression with the jacket and your going to start seeing them pop up on the street and in blogs where style is appreciated.  In addition, if you haven't visited the circus before you are in for a real treat.  Check it out here

http://thebkcircus.com/





As you can see these look great with a pair of boots and jeans and they're warm as well. They are expensive at the circus (but worth it). I searched and searched the internet and finally stumbled across a wholesaler who would sell individuals.  The jacket is Holloway http://www.hollowayusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplayView?langId=-1&storeId=52552&catalogId=11052&categoryId=18726&page=1   so the construction is stout.  The price = $140.00, believe me this is a good deal. Wool body and leather arms.  Here's a shot of the one that I've got coming in the mail.


I'm not sure what kind of branding / patches i'm going to go with (if any) but the cool thing is I've got the freedom and flexibility to design it to my exact specifications.  My primary concern, the white sleeves.  I hope to keep em clean, but you know how that goes. I was suprised to learn the difference between embroidery and patches.  The tailor just sews the patches on, however the emroiderer actually interweaves into the fabric.  Pretty neat.  If anybody has a good recommendation on where to find some patches please share.  I'll shoot some pic's as soon as i get the jacket in.

Key notes if you want to add this to your regular rotation:

1. Stick with a neutral color for the body : navy, black, or dark grey
2. If any branding or patches, keep it to a minimum, 1 or two letters tops.
3. Keep it clean, these jackets are meant to be worn and to stand out.



here's the link to where you can scoop yours

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/8003/holloway-wool-leather-sleeve-varsity-jackets.html

No comments: